So I know this blog is meant to be all about living life plastic-free, however I want to take a small detour into my recent experience with anaphylaxis: an allergic reaction to bee stings.
Now you might find this quite strange, however one of my inspirations to start living without waste was from studying and working with honey bees. I was in awe at how they could build whole colonies out of natural substances, and when they swarm away, the remnants of their old home swiftly decays, leaving no waste. What’s more, all of their products (such as honey and beeswax) are incredibly useful to other animals, including humans, and so whatever is produced by bees can be reused.
Perhaps I shall write more about my bee influence in another post, but today I shall focus on anaphylaxis, as on August 1st 2016, I was stung by one of the workers from my hive, and the experience was pretty awful. Here I just want to record the day’s events, and then give some safety suggestions, not only to those working with bees, but also for those that are outside in the sun, where many different pollinators like honey bees may be flying around.